Gilbert is a town located in Maricopa County, Arizona, USA. It is a rapidly growing community that has seen significant population growth in recent years due to its desirable climate, affordable housing, and family-friendly atmosphere. With a population of over 250,000, Gilbert is the fifth-largest municipality in Arizona and the largest town in the United States.
Gilbert is known for its strong sense of community and commitment to quality of life. The town has a variety of recreational amenities, including parks, trails, and sports fields, as well as numerous cultural and entertainment venues. The downtown area is a popular destination for residents and visitors alike, featuring a vibrant restaurant scene and local shops.
One of Gilbert’s most unique features is its extensive agricultural history. The town was originally founded as an agricultural community, and many of its historic buildings and landmarks still stand today. The Gilbert Historical Museum offers visitors a glimpse into the town’s past, with exhibits on everything from the early days of farming to the growth of the local economy.
To know more about Gilbert, let’s take a look at these 22 interesting facts about Gilbert, Arizona.
- Gilbert was named after William “Bobby” Gilbert, who provided land to the Arizona Eastern Railway in 1902.
- Gilbert is located in the southeast valley of the Phoenix metropolitan area.
- Gilbert was once known as the “Hay Shipping Capital of the World.”
- The town was founded in 1891 as an agricultural community.
- Gilbert is home to numerous citrus orchards and farms.
- The town has a total area of 68.0 square miles.
- Gilbert has been ranked as one of the best places to live in the United States by various publications.
- The town is served by the Gilbert Public Schools and the Higley Unified School District.
- Gilbert is home to the Arizona State University Polytechnic campus.
- The town has a variety of parks and recreational areas, including Freestone Park and the Riparian Preserve at Water Ranch.
- Gilbert has a vibrant downtown area with restaurants, shops, and entertainment venues.
- The Gilbert Historical Museum offers visitors a glimpse into the town’s past.
- The town has a thriving arts community, with events and exhibits throughout the year.
- Gilbert is home to the Hale Centre Theatre, which features Broadway-style productions.
- The town hosts numerous annual events, including the Gilbert Farmers Market and the Gilbert Days Parade and Festival.
- Gilbert is located in the Sonoran Desert and has a desert climate.
- The town is known for its beautiful sunsets and stunning mountain views.
- Gilbert has a low crime rate and is considered one of the safest cities in the United States.
- The town is home to several professional athletes, including NFL player Brett Hundley and MLB player Jon Jay.
- Gilbert has a strong economy, with major employers including GoDaddy, Banner Health, and Mercy Gilbert Medical Center.
- The town is served by two major highways, US-60 and AZ-202.
- Gilbert is located just a short drive from popular Arizona attractions such as Camelback Mountain and Sedona.
Gilbert is a thriving and dynamic town in the Phoenix metropolitan area, known for its strong sense of community, family-friendly atmosphere, and commitment to quality of life. With its agricultural history, beautiful natural scenery, and vibrant downtown area, Gilbert offers a unique blend of small-town charm and big-city amenities. Whether you are a resident or a visitor, there is always something to see and do in this bustling Arizona community. From its parks and recreation areas to its cultural events and entertainment venues, Gilbert truly has something for everyone.